GGS Chamber Competition Application
- Preliminary Round - Groups: Tuesday, April 25, 2017, beginning 9 am, Koerner Hall
- Preliminary Round - Duos: Wednesday, April 26, 2017, beginning 9 am, Mazzoleni Hall
- Chamber Music Social Gathering: Wednesday, April 26, 2017, 6:30 pm - late, The Bedford Academy
- Final Round: Thursday, April 27, 2016 7:00 pm, Mazzoleni Hall
Ensembles must submit applications online no later than 5 pm Monday April 10, 2017.
- This year, the competition is anchored by a residency by members of the Montrose Trio.
- On the evening of Wednesday, April 26th, all competitors MUST ATTEND a chamber music social gathering and reading session at a surprise location.
- The competition is open to all GGS students.
- There are two entrance categories, 1) Duos and 2) Chamber Groups of three or more
- Individuals may be members in multiple groups.
- Ensembles that wish to include a GGS alumnus as a member must provide a valid reason and receive written permission from the Associate Dean and Director of Chamber Music, Barry Shiffman before applying.
- GGS alumni will not be eligible to receive a cash prize.
- Duos must consist of current GGS students only.
- Groups that include a faculty member or a Rebanks Fellow are not eligible.
- Groups of four or more may add one player for one of their two pieces (for example, a string quartet could add a pianist for a piano quintet)
- Vocalists may participate in the duo category with Lieder. Vocalists who wish to participate in the larger chamber category must have their repertoire approved by Associate Dean and Director of Chamber Music Barry Shiffman.
- A group who has won a prize previously is ineligible to compete again (A group is considered the same if more than 50 percent of the personnel are returning).
- Preliminary Round
- Each group must prepare 25-35 minutes of music and include two contrasting styles by two different composers.
- Participants must provide two copies of their music to the panel, indicating the specific sections planned to be performed.
- Please note that the jury may request to hear any part of either works and may ask you to stop and start at their discretion.
- Final Round
- Ensembles shall perform one work in its entirety.
- The jury reserves the right not to award a prize in either category should a sufficient level of excellence not be demonstrated.
- Performing in this competition does not exempt Chamber Ensembles from playing a second term jury.
A grand prize winner will perform as the opening act to The Montrose Trio and Friends Royal Conservatory Presents, Friday April 28 8 pm in Koerner Hall.
Cash awards have been made possible through generous support in honour of R.S. Williams & Sons Company Ltd.
A first, second, and third prize may be awarded in each category as follows:
Chamber Groups (three or more):
- 1st prize $3,500
- 2nd prize $2,500
- 3rd prize $1,500
- 1st prize $1,500
- 2nd prize $1,250
- 3rd prize $1,000